Certificate of Professional Practice – Special Educational Needs
|Certificate of Professional Practice – Special Educational Needs
(Accredited by London Teacher Training College, U.K.)
Participants will be introduced to the different disabilities; sensory impairments, neurological disabilities and learning disabilities. The certificate provides an overview of the characteristics and strategies that can be implemented for children with exceptionalities.
- Identify the characteristics of the various disabilities.
- Identify and correctly explain the terminologies used when describing children with exceptionalities.
- Identify the different support present in Singapore for children with disabilities and their families.
- List basic strategies and accommodation and implement within the educational context.
Learners will be introduced to the following areas of impairments: physical, sensory, intellectual, communication, social, emotional and behavioural difficulties, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) , and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
A variety of curricula and teaching approaches will be covered although the main focus will be on activity based, authentic, play-based and child-directed approaches.
Such approaches will be considered and critically evaluated for application within the context of schools in Singapore.
- Introduction to SPED and educational settings for children with special needs
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Sensory Impairments
- Intellectual Impairments
- Learning Disabilities
8 weeks on a part-time study for 4 hours per session. Sessions include classroom discussions/participation, hands-on training activities and peer teaching practice.
- Classroom and Online Forum Participation
- Lesson Planning
- Peer Teaching
- Written Theory Examination
- Minimum 3 “O” levels with credit in English
- Any other recognised Certification, Diploma or Degree
- Mature candidates by interview and approval from the School